Saturday, May 15, 2010

Stuck in the middle.

Your first thought when you read the title of this blog was either (a) "Squeezed in the middle, smack dab in the middle" (and now you want a choc chip cookie .. you're welcome.) or (b) She is in the middle of a fight between two people she knows. However, it is neither of those.

{Disclaimer: I should probably never assume any one else in the entire world thinks like I do, LOL}

I feel as though I am stuck in the middle of two stages in life: ~The single, college student, or recent college graduate~ and ~the married, career woman and/or mother~

This is unsettling in many aspects, but there is one semi-major aspect that it seems to be affecting tremendously: Friendships.

Who else in the entire world understands where I am at? The answer is probably my sisters. And I am so thankful for them, but I also need to have other friendships, to go along with the awesome relationships I have with S and T. But other than my sisters, my friends are either: (a) in a serious dating relationship (b) married (c) still in college. I firmly believe that it is possible to have great relationships with all of my friends, no matter what stages in life we are in. However, there is a limit to these relationships.

Here are some of the issues:
-I don't fully connect with anyone. There are times when I do, but I always seem to hit a wall.
-Immaturity. Sometimes our goals and desires for life are just different.
-Being a third wheel.
-Schedule conflicts.
-General conflict of interests.


You know? This is the part where I offer some great wisdom about how to deal with the issue I just wrote about, or how I am growing because of it. But I just haven't reached that point. I am in conflict, and I don't know what to do or where to go, or who to confide in.

All I know, is that being in the middle hurts.

1 comment:

  1. Katie, it is small consolation, but there is truth to your feelings. Sometimes we just need to know that what we're feeling is justified.

    It doesn't help for me to say "I've been there," because really, how does that help other than to prove that there is an other side to this? Maybe we go through these times so that when others are stuck in the middle we are able to empathize and show them that it will, in fact, change one day. There will still be struggles in relationships and we may still have uncomfortable times with our position in life for a time, but the key is that it is temporary and in the midst of it God is teaching you something. He may be teaching you something BECAUSE of where you are or He may be teaching you simply because He is always teaching us. But, because of the distraction of your "middleness" are you having trouble listening or looking?

    Your position is not easy - I can attest to that. Sometimes what we want more than anything is just to be comfortable, to be settled. BUT, I encourage you, as much as you can, ENJOY this time! Soon you will have that job, have that husband, and have those kids. You'll never be able to go back to where you are now, but you are moving forward. I think I can guarantee that, in hindsight, you'll be grateful for this single, in the middle time. The job, the husband, and the kids all have their perks, but you are in a unique time now!

    Continue to look and listen for and to what God is teaching you in your every day, even though the very day can be mundane.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete